Examples of true stuff
- Vaccines do not cause autism or mental retardation. Proven fact.
- The climate is warming up. Fact.
- Human activity is contributing to the warming of the climate. Fact.
- Most living creatures (including humans) will suffer in many, many ways as the climate warms. Duh.
- The earth is not 6,000-10,000 years old. It is around 4.5 billion years old. Regardless of how many “generations” are listed in your religion’s holy book.
- Certain economic policies, usually associated with more liberal politicians, tend to improve our economy. Certain other economic policies, usually associated with more conservative politicians, tend to harm our economy.
- Rape really is a thing. Benghazi really wasn’t. Our Constitution was not based on the Bible. Most homosexuals didn’t “choose” their sexuality. These things are just true, despite the stuff that Fox “News” bombards its viewers with.
What I find in my work with people is that a lot of folks, instead of seeking truth, want reassurance that what they already believe is true.
What science has recently revealed, also, is that some brains are more geared toward allowing new facts to adjust their belief system, while other brains are geared toward defending against changes in beliefs by rejecting facts.
What if we took our lead from the Enlightenment thinkers and based our opinions on facts, instead of on feelings, superstitions, ancient books, left or right-leaning news stations or paid-for-by-corporations-politicians?